Thursday 18 June 2015

Marshal Ney - Perry 28mm

Well it's June 18th, and a rather momentous day in several ways as I also bought a house! Had to do the equivalent of sending in the Guard reserve to win it at the auction though. A close run thing indeed. And another of our Napoleonic fraternity is having his first child born today (provisional name "Arther Wellesley" of course).

To commemorate the day, here's Marshal Ney ready for the second Waterloo refight (happening this weekend). This is quite a characterful and popular set. Also much commented upon is the hair style which the Perry's have sculpted as bald on top with comb over. I searched for records on the state of his hair, and apparently it is quite likely that he was bald by this time. I also chose quite a ginger colour for his hair to make him stand out, though in reality it was probably more chestnut coloured. Going for the colour and emphasis as with all my figures for reasons I've remarked upon before, i.e. the effects of scale and light perception. 

I might rebase my generals on circular bases later as I quite like that look, but I only had rectangular and square ones available when I did these.

This Perry set is based on this painting by Demoulin of the Charge of Donops Cavalry Led by Marshal Ney at Waterloo. A brilliant translation of it into miniature.

However I switched the position of the ADC's around to better protect the sword of the one in red!




Report on the second Waterloo refight using General de Brigade will be up next week! As Ney I will no doubt be running around taking control of vast swathes of the French army and ordering poorly timed but impressive charges. Especially since our Napoleon is unfortunately (but appropriately) in ill health at present. Get well soon Ion! It will be a complete disaster if I'm let loose on the field I'm sure...

14 comments:

  1. Very sharp indeed. I must admit that I am a fan of circular bases for command figures, but your bases look great all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, yes the more I look at the pics the more I think I need to get some circular bases.

      Delete
  2. The great Marshal of France looks fantastic Mark! Good luck for the weekend. I will be popping in at some stage for a look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the house Mark !

    I just packed up Reille's corp and the Prussians ready for d-day tomorrow. Your not taking my cavalry with you Ney as I need to them to storm Hougonmont.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul!

      Cavalry, storming the fortress of death that is Hougoumont?! Oh no!! :)

      Delete
  4. Marvelous! paint work on Ney and his followers - I concur with Lawrence, Generals or a charismatic leader such as Ney would look far more impressive on circular bases...

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, and yes I think you're right!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful job on "The Red Lion", "The Bravest of the Brave". May he find glory on the fields of the next Waterloo!

    Congratulations on the purchase of the Maison as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful brushwork! I prefer circular basing for leaders and command vignettes myself.

    ReplyDelete