Sunday 30 November 2014

Austrian Line Infantry Perry 28mm

First four regiments of Austrian German Infantry done! Two 24 strong and two 36 strong. Would have been done last weekend but I was away on holiday instead. Here's a closeup look at one of the 36 strong regiments from various angles.




There is actually a light grey in the creases on the white, but doesn't show in the photos very well! In the end I skipped the spirals on the standard poles as my experiments showed me that to do them to a quality I was happy with would take far too long when I'm looking at doing maybe twenty or so! It also didn't add much visual impact en masse either which is my bottom line. Historically I understand some were left blank anyway due to logistics issues, but I expect this sounds like bit of a wargamer cop-out (which it is!), and most of them probably had the spirals. There's actually little of the standard pole left showing on these figures once I stick the flag on. I'm not entirely convinced by these flags either, which are just downloaded from Warflag, I might replace them in the future with something of better quality and perhaps a little smaller in the future - but they will do for now! All flags are the yellow Ordinarfahne, but as I might want to use these regiments as 24's I'm also going to add a few more command bases with the white Leibfahne.

Anyway enough rambling, here's a look at the first four regiments completed!

Another four regiments to go and that will be the Austrian 'German' regiments finished. The 24 command figures of the next four regiments are already done which leaves another 120 infantry to paint. This is a lot to do in one hit yet again, and probably too much, but it's satisfying to get a big batch like this finished!

29 comments:

  1. Wow! A quick turn-around with those Mark and they look marvellous. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visually very pleasing indeed. Personally, I like the downloadable Warflags/Napflags, but I like to modify the shape from rectangular to a lozenge/parallelogram for a better 'drape' effect. For this I use the Windows Paint feature. I also like the way you have done the basing. not 'overstated', but worked with a deal of thought and effort.

    Very high quality work, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ion and yes that's a great idea with the flags :)

      Delete
  5. Very very nice work on the Austrians! Lovely basing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the deleted posts last night chasseur, load with the cold last night stupidly took some tablets then later had a couple of glasses of wine and ended up typing nonsense with one eye open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Paul, your comments are always welcome here, including any questions/criticism etc - all valuable to me! Question regarding flags is valid and it seems quite a confusing topic from my sparse reading, eg from here: http://www.warflag.com/napflags/flaghtml/austria.htm Regulations that 1st battalion had Liebfahne and remainder Ordinarfahne was what I was thinking of, but the regulations kept changing quite a deal it seems. If you can point me to good sources for what Austrian flags were carried around 1809-1814, then please let me know!

      Delete
    2. No real knowledge of Austrians, chasseur just stuff from top of my head and was sitting typing with 1 eye open and half a brain.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful units, these Austrian troops are really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Austrian armies always look so sharp, especially in the en-mass effect.

    Looking forward to seeing AAR's with these troops featured.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great results and in large quantities. Austrians always look very snappy and your pop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks again for all the comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't blame you on the stripes as they were only 2.5cm wide! I am setting up a blog on Wordpress, but for the moment, the pole was 285cm long, made in two parts and the flag was 161 x 142cm, so it would come halfway down the pole. I wrote up some general notes on flags at http://www.warflag.com/napflags/flaghtml/austria.htm which should answer several of your questions and I will be adding more on the blog in due course. Just one note - the designations in the top corner only date from the 1816 pattern, although a couple of Landwehr flags from 1809 do have them - albeit I am not sure whether these were on in 1809 or added subsequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks for the information David, on warflag and here! I will have a rethink on the flags as I complete more units. I look forward to seeing your blog!

      Delete
  12. gosh....your Austrians look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work on the Austrians, are you sick of white paint yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Yorkie, and no not yet!! I've now completed most of "mostly white" uniforms, more pictures up soon! But still 4 Grenadier regiments in their whites to go...

      Delete
    2. Im working on a load of landwher at the moment, after painting 18 line Bns, its a nice change!

      I AM sick of white paint...

      Steve

      Delete
    3. Also have Landwehr to do! Looking forward to seeing more progress on yours too :)

      Delete
  14. Very nice painting and the army is looking superb . Despite the white , I think the Austrians if you scratch beneath the service are one of the most colourful Naps armies . There aren't many other armies that can have say pink facings on their Grenadiers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree Garth, lots of colour can be in the mix with Austrians. And thanks!

      Delete